28th January (thanks to Paul Arthur for this report)
The weather was dry, rather cloudy (though some sunshine late morning) and unusually mild. A general tidying of the pond, with a fair amount of unwanted growth removed, and eventually left near the compost bays. One large clump of bullrush and iris, plus a fair amount of grass was taken out, which was all put to one side to allow wildlife to crawl out and return to the pond. A helping hand was needed for some! We found lots of ramshorn snails, water woodlice, a few toads, dragonfly larvae, palmate newts, and about thirty frogs! Lots of other unidentified living matter too. This shows just how healthy the pond is. Very welcome tea and coffee was provided by Michele and Jenn.
We noticed that there are a number of small tears in the pond liner, one of which is reasonably low and will now be dictating the maximum depth of the pond. Steve (Scorey) has some theories about how we might repair these, and will keep in touch. We might also create a shallow ‘beach’, which amongst other things will allow badgers (possibly the cause of the tears) to drink water without causing any harm.