Jubilee Green working sessions 2020

Sunday 25th October: thanks to Paul Arthur for this report
Five keen volunteers enjoyed some mid autumn sunshine, interspersed with the odd light shower; ideal working conditions! As we’d had some heavy rain on Saturday, and further showers overnight, the ground was quite wet. The Town Council had mown the grass on Friday, and done a splendid job! The two wayfaring trees and the wild service tree (a rare tree in the wild) were looking especially good. All of the trees and shrubs have grown very well this year, so the whole area is looking much more mature, and the coppice under the ash tree is thickening up very nicely! During the course of our work we spotted a red admiral butterfly and a kestrel.
Achievements included:
- applying tree grease to all seven apple trees (the medlar doesn’t need it)
-
checking all the tree stakes. All seemed reasonably OK, though may need some attention, with some further securing next
year
- picking medlars. We probably picked over 300, and estimate they weighed about 9 Kg! Quite a harvest! (See picture below)
- we cut grass tree circles around all eight fruit trees, and the oak, and removed the cut grass
- some weeding within the tree circles
- the cut grass on the bank was raked up and disposed of elsewhere.
Stacks Image 55
Sunday 23rd August : thanks to Paul Arthur for this report
We had our full permitted quota of volunteers, who benefited from a dry, rather breezy and cloudy morning, ideal conditions for some hard graft! Achievements included:
  • Scything the southern half of the bank, which had been left uncut, as requested by the Town Council. The whole of the area was cut, and the grass raked up and stashed to the left of the footpath that leads up to Allington Hill.
  • Some grass that had been cut by the Town Council on 10th August was raked up and stashed away next to the footpath.
  • Grass was cut around all of the fruit trees with shears and a scythe, and taken away
  • Wildlife seen included two ravens flying overhead, vying with each other (as they do at this time of year), a dark brown cricket (exact identity unknown), a dragonfly (probably a souther chaser), a slow worm, and the star of the show, a wasp spider, the first sighting of one of these spectacular arachnids at Jubilee Green!

Thursday 28th May 2020 (thanks to Paul Arthur for this report)
Seven volunteers had a very successful and enjoyable work party at Jubilee Green this morning. The weather was fantastic, the birds (at least one blackcap) were singing, and the butterflies were flying (speckled wood, holly blue). 

We noticed there was a lot of corky-fruited water-dropwort on the bank, along with knapweed, cranes-bill, birds-foot trefoil etc, coming up on the bank, which was a joy to see. Also, the silver birch that we had planted last year is thriving, and the wild service tree (a rare tree in the wild, but planted by us some years ago) is looking a real picture. We had several people complimenting us on our efforts.

Jobs included:
  • raking up the cut grass from the whole of the top (plateau) area
  • trimming grass with shears around the medlar (which is heavily laden with fruit)
  • cutting small tree circles around four of the smallest shrubs in the grid of shrubs to the southwest of the site
  • securing stakes on two of the apple trees where they had become loose
  • ‘topping off’ with the scythe some stray areas of longer grass on the plateau area at the top, and around the oak tree
  • all cut grass was stashed at the back of the copse area underneath the ash tree.
Stacks Image 43
Stacks Image 45
There are hidden images / Tidy mode active.
Sunday 26th January
Despite the very inclement conditions, eight people turned out with great enthusiasm! Some good jobs were done, and these were:
  • About half of the apple trees were pruned. The remaining four will be pruned at a later date, quite possibly Wednesday afternoon. Some of these will need pruning at height.
  • An apple tree that had been cut off at ground level over a year ago had sprouted a number of suckers, so these were all removed.
  • About 25% of the trees and shrubs underneath the ash tree had the grass growth removed from around their bases, and grass that had grown quite tall in amongst some of their branches was removed, too.
  • Sumac continues to sprout up in various places in the coppice, so this was cut off at ground level, and the prunings taken to the tip for disposal.
  • Some wooden debris, mostly fallen branches was removed from the site.
  • The notice board was repaired. It became apparent that the front door panel was not closing properly at the top, so by lifting the panel gently and then closing, the locks could be properly secured. A laminated notice depicting our work party dates for 2020 was inserted, and the Wassail poster removed. The black tape that had been keeping the front securely shut was removed.
  • Some pieces of rubbish from across the site were disposed of in the bin.
Stacks Image 28
Stacks Image 30